Thursday, October 11, 2012

Hologram for the King / Dave Eggers / 312 pages

     This is a contemporary novel set in Saudi Arabia.  An aging businessman, Alan, is sent to sell a holographic IT system to the King Abdullah for his economic city known as KAEC.
Whether the city will actually be built, whether Alan and his team will actually get to make their presentation, and whether Alan will ever use his time to find himself is all part of this engaging story. 
     First, I really am glad that I was never in business.  Second, watching Alan go through his time there made me wince  . . . repeatedly.  It was difficult at times to listen to because I so wanted to sit the guy down to discuss his issues.  Then there is Saudi Arabia.  I chose this book to take a peek into that culture clash.  All those forbidding rules (ie: no alcohol) and yet, all the ways people work around it. 
     I live in an insular bubble here in St. Charles county and I like to hear about the big world outside.  This was an interesting book.

1 comment:

  1. You know Saudia Arabia is on the Asian Continent, so I'm granting you 5 bonus points!

    ReplyDelete