Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Fables: Rose Red vol. 15 / Bill Willingham / 245 pg.

This story arc explores Rose Red's life.  Rose Red is the sister of Snow White.  The book starts out with Rose Red suffering from a deep depression.  As she examines her life from childhood to the present, she sees all of the things she's done good and bad to become the person she is today. 

I loved the artwork as everything is detailed and beautifully drawn.  Even the margins have colorful embellishments and each character has a design that is displayed when the story is focused on them.

The content, on the other hand, is definitely dark for the older / mature crowd.  Even though the story is smart and has a sarcastic tone towards finding "Prince Charming" and living "Happily ever After"; horrible things happen to the characters.  Some of which are just plain gross, like Snow White's treatment by the lecherous seven dwarfs.   

This is the first "Fables" graphic novel that I read and I could tell that I jumped into the middle of a long story.  I probably have spoiled a few twists in the story as well for not starting with book one.  I did enjoy this novel and again I loved examining the pictures that I would like to read more; probably starting at the beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment