Monday, September 10, 2012

Astonishing X-Men: Northstar / Marjorie Liu / 136 pgs.

I picked this book up at the comic book store over the weekend.  I read comic books, but not usually Superhero comics.  I like stories that are more character and relationship driven over all action, but since the author of this story arc is the Romance writer Marjorie Liu I wanted to give this a try.  (Oh!  and btw this is rated T for Teen!)

The main point of this novel is the marriage between Superhero Northstar and his long time boyfriend Kyle.  It follows their relationship triumphants and struggles and shows a couple that is very loving and concerned for each other's well being.  The book is not preachy and does not blatantly point out the current political debate in America over gay marriage.  It just shows a long-term couple that love each other and would naturally want to get married. 

The bonus material is a nice addition to the overall story with excerpts from the collection "Nation X: #2" and "Alpha Flight: #106".   Nation X, shows Kyle and Northstar early in their relationship and the trouble they have with dating long distance (and with one of them having super powers).  The Alpha Flight #106 is the issue where Northstar officially announces he's gay.  I did not particularly care for this one as it comes off as super cheesy.  In it Northstar finds an abandon baby whose infected with AIDS.  As the infant is dying in the hospital Northstar is attacked by another SuperHero whose upset because of all the media attention the baby is getting; while his gay son who died from AIDS was shunned from society.  It ends with Northstar giving a press conference announcing he is gay and talking about the AIDS epidemic.  Over the top right?  Well, considering this was printed in the early 90's I can let the cheesiness slide.  I am just so glad that this is the bonus material and not the main story. 

This is an actual wedding that occured at Dragon*Con that was held over this past Labor Day weekend.  Stuff like this just makes the comic geek in me *squee* with joy.  I just wish I could get my husband to do a Star Wars themed vow renewal, that would be so Awesome!  Unfortunately for me he thinks that idea is just waaaayyyy to silly.  Ah C'est la Vie !!


No comments:

Post a Comment