Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Your Spacious Self: Clear Your Clutter and Discover Who You Are / Stephanie Bennett Vogt / 155 pgs.

“I’ve bought the books on clutter clearing; I’ve smudged my entire house with sage; I’ve practiced some of the suggestions on simplifying that I read in Real Simple; I’m hooked on TV’s “Clean Sweep” …but my clutter just creeps on back, like a nasty weed.” Pg. 12

Does this sound like you?  It certainty resonated with me, and that is why I ploughed through this quick read hoping to gleam some insight into my clutter addiction and why I cannot stop.  I was also looking for a straightforward plan on how to attack those menacing piles and banish them for good.

This book, however, is more about developing your life into a culture of letting go.  You spend three weeks just on exercises that have you focus/reflect on how the clutter makes you feel and reciting mantras that will help you let go of the idea that you “need” to keep things.  I think this book is helpful in showing you another way to think about your clutter and does have some good ideas on how to SLOWLY work on getting rid of things.

 I guess what I really wanted was a no nonsense book that just jumps in and helps me organize and throw stuff out (which this is not it).  If you know of a book like this, please let me know, I am still drowning in stuff. 

No comments:

Post a Comment