Tuesday, May 29, 2012

The Beekeeper's Apprentice/ Laurie R. King/ 405 pages

It took me about 200 pages to get into this book.  I was surprised, because I had read "A Monsterous Regiment of Women" a book later in the series about 13 years ago and remember really liking that book.  But, I guess it's all the set up that takes time and can drag a bit. 

But, this is the story of Mary Russell, and how she came to be an apprentice to Sherlock Holmes.  It's been a while since I've Read Conan Doyle's Holmes, so I have to admit Robert Downey Jr. is the Holmes most recent in my head and I can see him in the role of Holmes in this story, even though Holmes is more of a supporting character.

Anyway, it's a good mystery with some twists.  And I would recommend it, but with the warning that it's a big dry in the beginning.  But, I think it sets you up to read a great series of books.

1 comment:

  1. I think I have read every book in this series. The first one is the set-up and does take a while to get into, but the rest of them are just great! I always highly recommend this series.

    ReplyDelete