Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Harry Potter and History / Nancy Reagin, editor / 320 pages



This non-fiction book took me forever to read, not because it wasn't interesting, but because I am terribly slow about finishing non-fiction.

Each chapter is written by a college professor, many with doctorate. Each chapter compares "Muggle" history with "Magical" history starting with a timeline. The different chapters take a scholarly look at various topics such as witchcraft in the middle ages, boarding schools, alchemy, and British social class. By scholarly, I mean this is written like formal term papers or journal articles complete with footnotes at the end of each chapter. All the topics were interesting and covered a lot of history and facts that I didn't learn in school. Anyway, that's why it took me so long to read. I could put the book down between other books as each chapter was a stand alone. I would recommend this book to any Harry Potter fan and also to anyone interested in history.

No comments:

Post a Comment