Thursday, March 22, 2012

Leaving Paradise by Simone Elkeles/303 pages

Even though this novel was somewhat predictable, I did like it. I liked the characters and I liked the story. Caleb is returning home after  doing time in juvenile detention for driving drunk and then leaving the scene of an accident after he hits someone. The someone just happens to be his neighbor and his twin sister's best friend. Maggie survives, but has become a social outcast, mainly because of her disability and struggles to find a place to fit in with her so-called friends. The author does a good job showing how the accident affects Caleb and Maggie and  all the areas of their lives; school, home and romantic relationships. I didn't realize there was a sequel while I was reading this book,  the first book did not end with a "happily ever after", but I was satisfied with the ending. So I will definitely be reading the sequel Return to Paradise.  I would recommend this for fans of Sarah Dessen and Deb Caletti.

No comments:

Post a Comment