Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Damned: Life is Short. Death is Forever / Chuck Palahniuk / 247 p.

A strange story about a 13 year old girl named Madision who dies and finds herself in hell.  There really is no plot just the character rambling around and making a place for herself in hell.  In Palahniuk style there are moments of prickly satire and genius observations, but mainly this book suffered from long winded descriptions of the disgusting landscape or the unsavory actions of the people who inhabit the underworld.  There were quite a few times that I wished I was not listening to this book while trying to eat during my lunch break.  The book also gets a little redundant, with every chapter starting out with, "Are you there Satan? It's me Madison..."  After the 20th time I just wanted to roll my eyes and scream "ENOUGH ALREADY!!"

If you like snarky comments and have read Chuck Palahniuk before, you might want to give this title a try.  Otherwise...pass.

No comments:

Post a Comment