Monday, February 13, 2012

The Widower's Tale/Julia Glass/402 pages

Percy Darling lives in a historic farmhouse in a suburb outside of Boston. He is a retired librarian and a widower for decades. He raised two daughters after his young wife tragically died. His grandson, Robert, is a premed student at Harvard and destined for great things. Percy and his grandson are closer than he is with either of his daughters. His oldest daughter, Clover, is a flighty mess, so he secures her a job that means he has to sacrifice his privacy by donating his barn to a local preschool in need. One of the teachers, Ira, wants to build a treehouse for the children, so Robert, his roommate Arturo and a gardener named Celestino help out. All the men have stories that intertwine with one another and come together in a very dramatic way.

I saw this book on a list for best books of the year, so I checked it out. I checked it out and renewed it 6 times. For some reason, it took me until 5 days before it was due that final time before I starting reading it. I'm so sorry I waited so long. This was a great story. I can't wait to read her earlier books.

No comments:

Post a Comment