Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Nightwoods / Charles Frazier/ 259 pages



This was a creepy book with suspense, odd characters, and really great description. I listened to this on CD in my car which is good because I wouldn't want to read it at night in bed. (I'm sure this is minor suspense, but I'm a wuss about scary.) The story goes between characters. The main character is Luce, an almost hermit woman whose sister has been murdered. She is raising her sister's twin preschoolers who are damaged from the trauma and abuse and have many issues. The main villain is Bud, her sister's murderer husband. He is mostly a petty criminal and ner-do-well, but so creepy that you don't ever want to meet him.

Charles Frazier writes great descriptive paragraphs that remind me of TC Boyle where he uses many adjectives and nouns all together to paint a picture of the scene.

Listening on CD is good because of the voices that the reader uses.

No comments:

Post a Comment