Monday, December 19, 2011

Wildwood / Colin Meloy / 541p

While watching her brother and running errands in Portland, OR, Prue's brother is kidnapped by a murder of crows.  They lift him up out of his Radio Flyer wagon and fly off, with him in tow, into the Impassable Wilderness.  Though no one has even gone into the Impassable Wilderness and lived to tell about it, Prue is determined to go and get her brother back.  Her school mate, Curtis, is equally determined to help.

Once Prue and Curtis get into the forest, the first thing they see is a pack of coyotes dressed in soldiers uniforms and talking to each other.  The Impassable Wilderness, or, Wildwood, as the inhabitants call it, is a far cry from what they are used to in Portland.

Now, to be clear, I am a HUGE fan of Colin Meloy (lead singer of my favorite band, The Decemberists) and so I might be biased, but I found this book to be, simply put, charming.  A quick read, even though the page count makes it look daunting, I blew through this book and I can't wait to read the next one in this planned series.

Give to Narnia fans.

No comments:

Post a Comment