Thursday, December 1, 2011

The Golem's Eye / Jonathan Stroud / 562p



My theory on why I never wanted to read these is the covers - I hate them.  But, as my last post also mentions, I am ever so glad I started them.

About a 2 1/2 years later after the end of Book 1, The Golem's Eye picks up with Nathaniel (or John Mandrake as his magician's name) is working for the government and is apprentice to a new and highly respected magician.  He quickly realizes, however, that no one can be trusted once things start going wrong and all his fellow magicians are quick to put the blame at his feet.  His only ally?  His old "friend" Bartimaeus of whom he summons and gets an earful (seeing as they ended the first book with a  promise of parting for good).  An evil magician has created a Golem and Nathaniel needs Bartimaeus's help in finding the culprit.

Once again, Nathaniel isn't very like able (even though you see some potential shine through occasionally) but Bartimaeus is hilariously snarky.  I am anxiously awaiting book 3!

No comments:

Post a Comment