Thursday, December 1, 2011

Chime / Franny Billingsley / 361p / National Book Award Nominee


I read this because of the National Book Award issues between this and the accidental (and poorly handled) nomination of Lauren Myracle's "Shine."  (I'll be reading Shine quite soon...)  Briony is living with a secret - she is a witch.  A witch living in a time where witches are hated and hanged.  She believes she is evil - that she caused her sister's personality quirks through creating an injury as a child and causing her stepmother's illness before she passed away.  Briony does not allow herself to live a normal teenage life until Eldric comes to town and seems to automatically lighten the mood, opens up a world of true living to Briony, and introduces her to some hard truths.

It took me a minute to get into it, but once it started rolling, I really enjoyed the book. I've never really read anything quite like this so I'm not sure of true read-a-likes, but I would try to pass it on to fans of Kristin Cashore and Megan Whalen Turner perhaps?

No comments:

Post a Comment