Sunday, August 28, 2011

Stories I Only Tell My Friends/Rob Lowe/306 pages

Rob Lowe has had an interesting life. Certainly his move from Dayton to Malibu as a young teen helped his acting aspirations. Living four houses down from the Sheens didn't hurt either. It's hard to imagine my own 15-year-old son being allowed to go on auditions alone that were a three hour bus ride away. A different time and lifestyle to be sure. Since West Wing is one of my favorite shows ever, I was happy to read about that experience. He was not treated well by the producers (that was common knowledge at the time) but it never showed in his character. Sam Seaborn was perfected portrayed, and Rob Lowe was classy throughout. Lowe is lucky to have met many of the great actors before they passed. His story of his first meeting with Cary Grant (in my opinion, the perfect man) is classic. I enjoyed this book so much more than Jennifer Grant's book about her father. That one was so badly written and rambling that I gave up on it after 30 pages. If Lowe really did write this book, then he is not only an above-average actor but an above-above writer as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment