Friday, July 8, 2011

Keep the Change / Steve Dublanica / 306 p.

I'll admit it I do have social anxiety;  I am in constant awe watching others talk and charm their way into strangers' hearts.  Still I live in a social society so I throw myself out there and try hard not to really embarrass myself.  Nothing causes me more agony then having to deal with the service industry and tipping.  I am always wondering "Do I tip this person?", "How much?", "Will they be insulted?", "How do you tip without looking 'showey' or 'superior"?  And, yes trips to Las Vegas are more of a nightmare for me than a getaway. 

So, here comes a book just for me.  Steve Dublanica, who has worked as a waiter for over 30 years, goes on a journey to learn all about tipping.  He writes in a conversational style, detailing his travels and interviews he has with various Service staff.  It is a very quick read and includes some interesting history on how and why tipping started.  Dublanica covers everything from how to tip the Hotel Doorman to tipping Strippers, and everything in between.  So if you are as clueless (or worried) as I am about the unwritten rules of tipping; then check this book out.

No comments:

Post a Comment