Friday, May 6, 2011

Ireland / Frank Delaney / 559 pgs



Whenever I go on vacation (not nearly enough), I take a book that is set in my vacation destination. In March, I went to Ireland and took along the audiobook of "Ireland." It turned out to be the perfect traveling companion. Delaney's near-epic coming-of-age story tells of a young man's quest to find the spellbinding storyteller that paid a life-changing visit to his childhood home. As the young man seeks the storyteller over the course of the book, he hears and collects the storyteller's stories, which cover the entirety of Ireland's history, from prehistoric times through the Easter Rising in 1916. Ireland is a land of storytellers, and what better way to learn its history? I enjoyed this book thoroughly....and I highly recommend listening to it as opposed to reading it - there is no substitute for hearing these tales told with a proper Irish accent!

No comments:

Post a Comment