Sunday, March 20, 2011

Cookbook Collector / Allegra Goodman / 394 pages

I wanted to like this book so much but I didn't. I could not relate to the characters and I didn't care a whit about what happened to them. I slogged my way through continually checking how many pages I had left. This book might be good for someone else. I'd be interested in hearing the pros from someone who did enjoy the book. It is basically the story of two sisters...one the caretaker, entrepreneur, disconnected and one the philosopher, emotionally connected, poor but rich in feelings. The book includes young, rich dot.com owners who are billionaires one day and bankrupt the next. Didn't care about them. It includes the impact of 9 11 on all the various characters...predictable. The title comes from the lichenologist who collected rare cookbooks and substituted sensuous thoughts about food for his love for his sister-in-law. Somehow the author also works in saving the redwoods and Bialystokers. At least the book has a very appealing cover. Sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment