Friday, March 25, 2011

Adora / Bertrice Small / 440 p.

Adora is the story of the beautiful Princess Theadora Cantacuzene, who rose to become one of the most powerful women in the east.  As a child, Adora is promised to the powerful Turkish emperor, Orkan, and then sent to a convent for her protection. But even behind convent walls love finds Adora when she meets meets Orkan's third son, Prince Murad, the love of her life. Murad patiently tutors Adora in the art of love and when it becomes time for her to leave the convent and enter Orkan's harem, she is devastated to be torn from her beloved.
I am kind of embarrassed that I am posting this book.  But I am a slow reader and I want the points. 
So, yes Adora rates up there on the "spicy" scale and it has a good amount of violence.  This is my first Bertrice Small novel and I liked her writing style and I wonder how much of her descriptions are historically accurate.  I really liked the storyline, but I didn't like the male characters since at the time women were treated a little better than dogs and it showed by their actions and lack of feelings.  I think I kept reading in hopes that Adora would just snap and kill one of the men in their sleep and the story would be over.  But alas, the book ends with what is suppose to be a happy, romantic resolution.

No comments:

Post a Comment