Sunday, March 6, 2011

2011 Building Block Nominees

This is one of the best groups of Building Block Nominees ever. You and your preschool child will enjoy ALL of these titles. As an adult, I loved Interrupting Chicken by David Stein. My coworkers and I were howling each time the Little Red Chicken interrupted her dad's bedtime story with her own happy ending. I would say my 2 1/2 year old grandson liked these titles the best: Pete the Cat: I Love my White Shoes by Eric Litwin, The Cow Loves Cookies by Karma Wilson, Birds by Kevin Henkes and The Terrible Plop by Ursula Duborosarsky. With demands for multiple retellings, he was soon repeating all of the key phrases and telling parts of the story right along with me. He was really attracted to the colorful illustrations in Rebecca Emberley's If You're a Monster & You Know It but didn't get into that one as much....maybe because of my singing. While these titles are chosen as great "read aloud" books, he was also fascinated by the wonderful illustrations and gazed for quite a while at each spread. Give your child time to really look at the illustrations and try out some dialogic reading once in a while. You will get amazing answers!

No comments:

Post a Comment