Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Mr Popper's Penguins / Florence & Richard Atwater / 138 pages

January reading....When I read this the first time 40 or more years ago, I thought it was hilarious. On re-reading it, I still think it's funny but it's interesting how my perspective changed. Somehow I was emphathizing with "Mama" Popper who had to put up with "Papas" eccentric fixation on Arctic regions and all wives who put up with their husbands hobbies. Really, as he set off to the North Pole I could see her waving happily and telling him don't hurry back, dear, we'll be fine. Sad to be an adult I guess. Anyway, it's still a great book, a funny story, and should be enjoyed by many future generations of young readers. I hope the movie doesn't ruin the book for kids! Robert Lawson's illustrations are priceless. Great book to read aloud and share some laughs with your child. Easy enough for a good 2nd or 3rd grade reader.

No comments:

Post a Comment