Saturday, February 26, 2011

Foreign Body/ Robin Cook/ 436 pp


This medical thriller explores the medical tourism phenomenon. Jennifer Hernandez is a few months away from graduating from medical school when she hears about her grandmother's death on CNN. From almost the beginning her grandmother's death seemed odd. Her grandmother, Maria, in an attempt to save money, flew to India to have hip replacement surgery. She died unexpectedly from heart failure a few hours after recovery. It also seemed like CNN knew about Maria's death almost before it happened. Her death seemed to start a trend of one unexpected death a night. Jennifer is immediately suspicious -- but even she couldn't imagine real reason her grandmother was targeted.


This was my first Robin Cook book. I enjoyed the premise of the book and the way that Jennifer went about figuring out what happened to her grandmother. I found the people behind the deaths to be not very believable. Their mistakes were obvious and I thought they made themselves too easily found out. They were committing a perfect crime and would have been overlooked if they hadn't started killing people every night. Plus they panicked and revealed themselves when the evidence was pointing away from them. I like my "evil masterminds" to be a little smarter than that! I know that Cook is a popular author so I'm thinking I picked up the wrong book as my first.

No comments:

Post a Comment