Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The Lion, The Witch & the Wardrobe by CS Lewis / 154 pages

I reread The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by CS Lewis for Deer Run's Family Book Group. I believe that the last time I read it was sometime in middle school. Was it as good as I remember it? Yes and no. Much of the magic is still there--the wonder of Lucy stepping into a wardrobe full of coats and finding herself in another world, or "watching" as Aslan restores the stone creatures to life; not to mention the horrible feeling in your gut when the White Witch is sharpening the knife to kill Edmund. However, I think my adult brain was getting in the way a little too often. I have read so much about the book as a Christian allegory that I found myself looking for biblical parallels rather than just sitting back and enjoying the adventure. It's one of the curses of having an English degree, I suppose. Still, well worth a re-read. Now maybe I'll finally get around to watching the movie!

No comments:

Post a Comment